Kyvalley is a rural locality 5 km north-west of Kyabram in northern Victoria and is occasionally spelled as 'Ky Valley'. It is on the railway line between Kyabram and Echuca, and is in the Goulburn Valley irrigation area. The name is probably derived from its proximity to Kyabram and from its location in the irrigation area.
Before the irrigation improvements came to the area it was occupied by farm selections. A school, named Tongala South, was opened in 1887, the year when the railway from Toolamba was extended through Kyvalley to Echuca. Irrigation water came with the construction of the Waranga Basin reservoir by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission in 1905, drawing from the Goulburn River.
The Kyvalley soils are loamy and about 80% of the area is irrigated, providing perennial pasture. Orchards have decreased and dairying predominates. In a survey in 1987 about 60% of the holdings were dairying, running an average head of 90 cattle. Beef cattle tended to be run on smaller, part-time holdings. The area has been affected by a rising water table and soil salinity.
Kyvalley has a hall and a tennis court. There was a Presbyterian church (1933-76), and the school closed in 1992. Kyvalley's census populations have been:
Gillian Payne et al, ... and they called it Kyvalley, Kyvalley, c1987
Penny Shaw, Ky Valley Production Survey for 1987-88, Department of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, 1990