Dallas, a residential suburb in the northern part of Broadmeadows, is 17 km north of central Melbourne. It was named after the Victorian Governor, Sir Dallas Brooks, who held office from 1949 to 1963.
Most of the housing in Dallas was built by the Housing Commission between 1961 and 1970. A primary school was opened in 1963 and another (Dallas North) in 1965. The former Upfield primary and high school sites are in Dallas. The former primary school site had a new school building constructed on it in 2012.
Before the area of Dallas was taken over by the Housing Commission it consisted of small farms and a district reservoir built by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works in 1924 to reticulate water to Broadmeadows. The Broadmeadows technical school was opened near the reservoir in 1962, but has since become an Islamic college and headquarters of the Australian Islamic Association. In Barry Road there are Anglican and Catholic churches and a Catholic primary school. There is also a small shopping centre near the reservoir. The Merlynston Creek runs through the eastern part of Dallas, and has a linear park. A mosque is nearby.
Dallas' census populations have been:
Among the languages spoken at home by residents at the 2011 census there were:
|language||percentage of population|
At the 2011 census the median income of residents was 55% of the Australian median.