Springmount is a rural locality 4 km east of Creswick. The origin of the name is uncertain. There is a Springmount Hill (668 m) about 1 km northwards.
Springmount school was opened in 1875. The area was recorded as being a farming and mining one shortly after the turn of the century, with a post office, church and hotel. The church was probably the small Methodist weatherboard structure (c1870) with a front porch, which was used as a Uniting church in the 1990s. The school closed in 1960.