Huntly is a rural township on the Midland Highway, 12 km north-east of Bendigo, but only a few kilometres beyond Bendigo’s urban fringe. The name is thought to have been inspired by Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The name was first given to the local parish in a map drawn in 1854.
Bendigo was the site of one of Victoria’s largest gold rushes in 1851, but prospecting did not extend to Huntly until some years later. It was used for pastoral and horticultural activities for food for the gold fields.