Traralgon South is a rural locality on the Traralgon Creek, Gippsland, 6 km south of Traralgon.
Soon after farmers took up selections in the area a school was opened in a private farm house in 1879. There have since been at least three replacement school buildings, in 1880, 1923 and the latest one. In addition to the school, the Victorian municipal directory also recorded a Mechanics’ Institute and a church in 1913.
Traralgon South has become an outer rural/residential locality for Traralgon and the Latrobe Valley. It has a store/fuel station, a large public hall, a kindergarten, a recreation reserve and a CFA station. There are softwood forests and fire-prone natural vegetation to the south.
The school’s enrolment in 2014 was 114 and Traralgon South’s census populations have been:
Laura McCormack, The settlement and development of Traralgon South, Koornalla and Le Roy, Traralgon, 1975