Greendale is a rural/residential area 65 km north-west of Melbourne, northwards of the Western Freeway between Bacchus Marsh and Ballan. It is believed that the name is descriptive of the area, and Dale Creek flows through the village.
A Greendale township was surveyed in 1859. In 1869 the primary school was opened, and in 1877 an Anglican church was opened. The remains of the church are in a paddock opposite the Greendale Hotel. A Catholic church was also recorded in the Australian handbook in 1903: