Bethanga, a small rural town in north-east Victoria, is on a land form surrounded on its northern, western and southern sides by the arms of Lake Hume. It is 15 km east of Wodonga, and is reached from that direction by the Bethanga Bridge across Lake Hume.
In 1836 the Bethanga pastoral run was taken up by pastoralists from New South Wales. It occupied a considerable part of the Mitta Mitta valley to the south of Lake Hume. The name is thought to have been derived from an Aboriginal word meaning weed.