Badger Creek, a rural and urban settlement, is 53 km north-east of central Melbourne and 6 km south of Healesville. It adjoins the Healesville Sanctuary and the former Coranderrk Aboriginal Station, now the Coranderrk Bushland.
Badger Creek was surveyed as a village settlement in 1894, providing blocks of 8 ha. The name possibly arose from the early settlers confusing wombats with English badgers. Another account is that a horse named Badger, owned by one of the pioneering Ryrie brothers, became bogged in the creek.