Woorinen and Woorinen South
Woorinen South is a village and Woorinen a locality in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 12 km north-west of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria.
In 1913 the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission purchased 1600 hectares of land for subdivision for orcharding. By then there were irrigation channels drawing water from Long Lake near Lake Boga. Settlers, including several from Mildura, took up farms in 1914. They constructed Woorinen’s first public building, the Church of Christ, in 1915.
Woorinen is thought to have been named after an Aboriginal word meaning mouth.