Thomson is a small residential suburb 3 km south-east of central Geelong. It is immediately east of the Geelong showground in Breakwater.
In the late 1940s the State Housing Commission began a housing estate of about 410 dwellings in East Geelong. There was already a primary school there, having opened in 1929 and named after a former Director of Education, Frank Tate. The area of the estate was named Thomson, after Dr Alexander Thomson (1800-66), a Geelong settler. The Thomson post office opened in 1950.