Sailors Gully, an outer northern suburb of Bendigo, is 9 km north-west of the city centre and immediately west of Eaglehawk. Gold was discovered there in the first half of 1852, possibly by a sailor or sailors who had deserted their ships and set off for the gold diggings.
Sailors Gully was part of Eaglehawk borough (1862). Its first school was opened in 1855 by the Church of England. It was replaced by a government school in 1874 and is now named Eaglehawk North.
Also named Nerring, Sailors Gully was described in the 1903 Australian handbook: