Nerrena is a rural locality in south Gippsland, 6 km south-east of Leongatha. It is also the name of the survey parish that runs southwards to Tarwin and Meeniyan. According to Bunce's Language of the Aborigines of the Colony of Victoria (1859), Nerrena is an Aboriginal word meaning name.
Nerrena was one of the last areas in the district south and east of Leongatha to be settled. Farms were taken up in the 1890s and a school was started in the village hall in 1900. A proper school building was constructed in 1912 and a replacement hall was opened in 1934.