Janefield was an area 18 km north-east of central Melbourne that is now part of Bundoora (see separate entry).

In 1842 a flour mill, powered by the Plenty River, was built at Janefield, although the locality was not known by that name at that time. It seems that the name Springfield was used in the late 1840s, after a Springfield homestead, and this was changed to Janefield possibly upon the death of Jane Brock in 1847. She was the wife of James Brock, a local landowner and son of the purchaser of the flour mill.

Subscribe to Janefield