Indigo is a rural locality and a former gold mining village in north-east Victoria, 8 km south-east of Rutherglen. It was one of three villages located at intervals of about 1 km on the Indigo gold lead. The others were Cornishtown and Christmastown.
The Indigo gold lead was opened up in 1859. Both the lead and the village were named after the Indigo Creek. It is thought that the creek was named after native Indigofera shrubs growing in its vicinity. (Two of the world's 700 Indigofera species are the source of indigo dye in the tropics and the Middle East.)