Cudgee is a rural village in western Victoria, situated on the Princes Highway 15 km north-east of Warrnambool. It is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal word describing a kangaroo skin.
Cudgee is on the Brucknell Creek, and the area was known by that name when a school was opened in 1862. Set in an agricultural and dairying area, the opening of the Warrnambool railway in 1890 provided improved access to markets. In 1903 the Australian handbook gave a glowing description of Cudgee: