Wesburn, a rural township between Yarra Junction and Warburton, is 62 km east of Melbourne.
In 1894, after passing the Village Settlement Act two years before, the State Government subdivided 325 hectares of land along the Warburton Road into about 40 farm lots. It was named the Warburton Village Settlement, later West Warburton and finally Wesburn (1925), an abbreviation of the previous name.
The railway line from Lilydale to Warburton opened in 1901, but ran north of the village settlement. A school was opened in 1904.