Newbridge is a rural village on the Loddon River 32 km west of Bendigo. It is located near a ford across the Loddon River, and in 1853 a wooden bridge was built. The structure probably inspired the place name. It is intersected by roads from Bendigo, Dunolly, Bridgewater and Maldon.
Newbridge was settled as an agricultural and pastoral area, but was stimulated by the nearby gold mining centres of Llanelly and Tarnagulla. It was part of the Tarnagulla borough (1864-1915).