Situated on the far western coast of Victoria at the mouth of the Glenelg River, Nelson is a town catering to tourists and visitors at holiday times. It is 6 km from the South Australian border.
The place was reached by the New South Wales Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell, who travelled down the Glenelg River in 1836. It was explored in more detail by Surveyor C.J. Tyers who erroneously marked the inter-colonial border there in 1839. Within seven years the area was under Lake Mornebeong pastoral run.