Seaholme is a residential suburb immediately east of Altona, 13 km south-west of Melbourne.
Seaholme was the name chosen for a housing estate in the early 1920s, marketed as the next stage of development adjoining Altona. It was positioned on the Altona railway line, and the Seaholme station was opened in 1921. The construction of houses was slow and it took until 1929 before parents could persuade education authorities to provide a local school, at first accommodated in a public hall. Primary education continued in rented premises, including Anglican and Baptist church halls, until a school building was provided in 1952. Within 18 years the school had 13 classrooms and 440 pupils. Seaholme primary school had 283 pupils in 2014.
One of the reasons for Seaholme's slow growth was an industrial drain from an early oil refinery (1922), discharging into Port Phillip Bay to the east of Seaholme. The Altona yacht club is now located near the drain.
Seaholme has a linear reserve along the bay, a jetty, a bowls club and recreation reserves on Millers Road.
Seaholme's census populations have been:
Susan Priestley, Altona: a long view, Hargren Publishing Company, 1988