Nullawarre is a rural locality in western Victoria on the Great Ocean Road, 25 km south-east of Warrnambool. It is about the same distance from Timboon to its east, and is on the western edge of what was the Heytesbury forest.
Farm settlement began in the Nullawarre area during the late 1860s and early 1870s. Accessibility for marketing of farm produce was an early difficulty, although the improvement of roads and the opening of dairy factories coincided during the 1880s. The Nullawarre school was opened in 1878. In 1905 the Victorian municipal directory also recorded a Union church, a post office and store, and creameries 2 km east and 5 km north-west.
In the years after World War II, there were also a progress association, a butcher, a baker and a garage.
Nullawarre is situated in a large area of good dairying and grazing land. It has a public hall, a post office, a store and an enlarged school (54 pupils, 2014) which serves a wider district. Nullawarre’s census populations have been:
|Nullawarre and environs||2011||294|
At the 2011 census, dairy farming accounted for 46.8% of employment.