Mont Albert North
Mont Albert North is a residential suburb 13 km east of central Melbourne. Until about 2000 it was part of Box Hill North. Its boundaries are the Koonung Koonung Creek, Elgar Road, Kenmare Street (the boundary with Mont Albert) and the municipal boundary between Boroondara and Whitehorse cities.
Mont Albert North's nearest public rail transport route is the Whitehorse Road tram, a good 2 km away. Even though a large Kenmare Heights residential estate went on sale in 1927 very few new houses resulted. In the east of Mont Albert North, near Elgar Road about 1.5 km from Box Hill railway station, Box Hill technical school opened in 1943. Described as a fine set of buildings, the school looked out onto open country.
Postwar housing filled up Mont Albert North. Koonung Heights primary school opened in 1954 on a former orchard, and Koonung high school opened in 1965. A post office (named Mont Albert North, even though in Box Hill North) opened in 1957 in a local shop in Access Road.
Mont Albert North has linear parks, and Elgar Park (ovals, miniature steam railway) in its north-east. The technical school is now Box Hill secondary college. There is also an Anglican church, a community hall and two kindergartens. The primary school closed in 1993.
Mont Albert North's census populations have been: