Moe South is in Gippsland, 135 km east of Melbourne and 5 km south of Moe. It rises from the former Moe swamp to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges. Its eastern boundary is the Narracan Creek, and its present north and south boundaries are Bormans Road, Moe and Coalville.
Selectors took up farms at Moe South in the late 1870s and a school was opened in 1879. The school closed in 1890 and reopened 1922 to 1931. There was a station/stopping place on the Moe-Thorpdale railway (1880-1958) to carry potatoes and dairy produce to Moe where there was a butter factory.
The area near Moe has rural/residential holdings and the west of Moe South is mostly tree plantations. At the 2011 census, residents of Moe South had higher incomes and below average unemployment, when compared with Moe.