Merlynston is a residential locality in Coburg North, 11 km north of central Melbourne.
In 1919 Donald Bain bought the 31 hectares Station Heights estate, immediately west of the Coburg North railway station. He subdivided it into housing blocks and renamed it after his daughter Merlyn. He became a local councillor and president of the Merlynston Progress Association which had a hall in Novian Street. The railway station was renamed Merlynston and the street to its immediate east is Bain Avenue.
Houses on the Merlynston estate were mostly brick, costing more than houses elsewhere in Coburg and accommodating families less prone to voting Labor.
A primary school was opened in 1928, a three storey brick construction and set in grounds that won the A.N.A. garden prize. A large reserve adjoined the school on two sides. There is also an Anglican church and shops near the railway station.
The primary school was closed in 1993 and is now occupied by the Islamic Australian International Academy.
Richard Broome, Coburg: between two creeks, 1887, 2001