Laang is a rural locality in western Victoria, 30 km east of Warrnambool. It is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal word that described a species of gum tree.
Laang is situated on Deep Creek, away from a main road, south of Garvoc. The land is fertile and has supported numerous small farms. Settlement in this form led to the opening of a school in 1875. In the description of Laang in the Australian handbook in 1903, its mixed farming economy was apparent:
The gradual contraction of the community has been reflected in the number of churches. The Anglican church (1886) closed in 1950. The Victorian municipal directory recorded two in 1956 and one in 1984. The school was closed in about 1980.
Laang has a public hall, a recreation reserve and a speedway. Its census populations have been:
Laang and environs
At the 2011 census, dairy farming accounted for 25% of employment and other farming 4%.