Wattle Glen, a mostly rural locality on the Diamond Creek, is 25 km north-east of central Melbourne, between Diamond Creek and Hurstbridge. Its name arose from the wattle trees which are still profuse in the area.
It has a station on the railway line which was extended from Eltham to Hurstbridge in 1912 and electrified in 1926. A primary school was opened in 1922. The school was named Wattle Glen and both the railway station (Balee) and the post office (Diamond Creek Upper) were renamed at the same time.