Waanyarra is a former gold mining township in the Green Valley Ranges about 7 km north-east of Dunolly and 45 km south-west of Bendigo.
The township was formed around Jones Creek where gold was discovered in 1853. The restored roadside 'Welcome Inn', built from local stone, marks the place. The settlement was known as Jones Creek, although the Government surveyor, Phillip Chauncey, named the locality Waanyarra in 1861. It is thought that the locality's name was derived from an Aboriginal word meaning flying crow.