Seaspray is located on the Ninety Mile Beach, Gippsland at the mouth of Merriman Creek, about 32 km south of Sale and 245 km east of Melbourne.
The flat coastal plain was taken up by P.C. Buckley as the Coadyvale pastoral run in 1848. The homestead, named Prospect, overlooked the present town site. By the 1860s Sale residents were visiting the area, camping on the foreshore at the creek mouth and fishing on the beach and in the creek. The locality became known as Buckley’s Beach.