Mount Clear is an outlying suburb of Ballarat, 5 km south-east of the Ballarat post office. It was probably so named as a result of its relatively elevated location being cleared of timber during or soon after the gold rushes.
Mount Clear was part of the Ballarat and Buninyong gold diggings. A school was opened in 1858. When the Buninyong Shire was formed in 1864 it met in rented premises in Mount Clear and it built offices there in 1869. Bailliere's Victorian gazetteer described Mount Clear in 1865 as: