Belgrave Heights and Belgrave South
Both these areas are south of Belgrave and are about 38 km south-east of central Melbourne.
Belgrave South is the older of the two, and was originally associated with Narre Warren North because mail deliveries came from that direction. The association with Belgrave began in 1908 when mail was delivered from that direction as a result of the railway coming to Belgrave. The area contained several large farms and estates, and in 1914 the Lockwood Estate was subdivided for home sites. The Belgrave South area contained the primary school (1907) and a store, but the subdivider provided a store at the Lockwood Estate and named it Belgrave Heights. Two ‘centres’ developed about 700 metres apart, divided by the Zig Zag Road and mutually hostile local ambitions. Belgrave South kept the school and the recreation reserve but Belgrave Heights got most of the churches and the Mechanics' Institute/Progress Hall. Belgrave Heights also has several church camps, convention centres and the P-12 Belgrave Heights Christian school (1983). Each has a small shopping area. The Belgrave South school includes Belgrave in its catchment and had 303 pupils in 2011 and 256 pupils in 2014.
Belgrave Heights is relatively compact and Belgrave South has an area several times larger. The Birds Land Reserve and the Baluk Willim Flora Reserve are local recreational areas.
The populations have been:
Helen Coulson, Story of the Dandenongs, 1838-1958, Melbourne, 1968
Belgrave Heights Convention, 75th anniversary souvenir 1992-3, Keswick Convention Movement, 1962