Tallygaroopna is a rural district and small town on the Goulburn Valley Highway and railway 15 km north of Shepparton in northern Victoria. It was named after the Tallygaroopna pastoral run, which had been taken up by Edward Khull in 1841, and was later occupied by Sherbourne Sheppard (1843-52), after whom Shepparton is named. It is thought that the name Tallygaroopna derived from an Aboriginal word meaning big tree or trees.
During the 1870s the pastoral run was subdivided for farm selections. The Tallygaroopna homestead estate was reduced to 133 hectares. It contains a restored hut built by Sheppard and a large homestead (1906), overlooking the Goulburn River.
The area settled for farm selection was Tallygaroopna West, where a school was opened in 1877. The opening of the railway line northwards from Shepparton (1881) resulted in the present township area. The mechanics’ institute, since replaced by an impressive District Soldiers’ Memorial Hall (1924), dated from about then. Methodist and Anglican churches opened at Tallygaroopna West during the 1880s.
The introduction of irrigation was followed by closer settlement estates during the 1920s.
Tallygaroopna has a store, a motor garage, the memorial hall, a Presbyterian church, a school (47 pupils, 2014), a golf course, tennis and bowling facilities and an oval. The trains no longer stop at the town, and the silos were closed in 1987. The town was inundated with water in the 2012 flood. The 120 years old hotel was flooded and two months later was burnt down.
The census populations have been:
* Including 92 at Water Supply Commission camp
At the 2011 census, in Tallygaroopna and district, dairy farming accounted for 7.3% of employment, fruit and vegetable farming 4.3% and other farming 7%.
Elise Brady, Tallygaroopna times and tales, Tallygaroopna School Council, 1991