Laburnum is a residential locality 16 km east of central Melbourne between Box Hill and Blackburn. It is named after a shrub with yellow flowers, also called ‘golden chain’.
Laburnum's early European settlement and postwar residential growth were part of Blackburn's. It is bounded on the south by a linear park along the Blackburn Creek. The housing allotments and streets are well planted with trees.
The railway station and the primary school were opened in 1958 and 1964 respectively.
Laburnum has a small shopping centre in an attractive setting close to the railway station. Having been subdivided at a time before street configurations were designed to deter through traffic, several of Laburnum's grid-design streets have traffic-calming devices.