Katandra is a rural locality in north-central Victoria, 24 km north-east of Shepparton. It was named after the Katandra pastoral run (1848), and the name is thought to have been derived from an Aboriginal word meaning birdsong or a hunting area.
Farm selection settlement at Katandra began in the 1870s and a school was opened in 1877. The area was part of the extensive plains north-east of Shepparton that were used for cereals and grazing.
In the mid-1920s the East Goulburn irrigation channel was extended to Katandra. The channel runs immediately north-west of the Katandra township site, and irrigation channels also travel north-west. Katandra missed out on irrigation and the better known Katandra West was established, overshadowing its smaller neighbour.
Katandra primary school had 48 pupils in 2014.
Katandra’s census populations have been:
Katandra West entry