Hamlyn Heights is an elevated residential area on the north-west outskirts of the Geelong urban area. It is divided from Bell Park and Bell Post Hill by the Midland Highway/Ballarat Road. (The Bell Post Hill is at the north-west corner of Hamlyn Heights, above the Hamlyn Heights reservoir.) It was named after Sidney Hamlyn, a local resident, in the 1940s.
Hamlyn Heights was residentially settled during the 1950s and 1960s. The middle of the suburb contains Hamlyn Park, the secondary college (called Bell Park high school when opened in 1961), and the former Geelong Teachers' College. Their sites are now the Western Heights secondary college. There are two primary schools, dating from the 1950s, and a neighbourhood shopping centre. Both schools had the names of neighbouring suburbs, Herne Hill and Bell Park (later renamed Hamlyn Banks).
Hamlyn Heights has an historic homestead, Glenpanyall, near Bell Post Hill. Its first rooms were constructed in 1849 by David Coghill, a member of John Hepburn's overlanding party from Sydney to Melbourne in 1836. A fragment of the original building remains, with the replacement building dating from 1860.
Hamlyn Heights' built-up area ends at the Princes Freeway/Ring Road. On the other side of the freeway there is open country with market gardens and the Moorabool River.
Hamlyn Heights' census populations have been: