Eltham North is a residential suburb 20 km north-east of central Melbourne. Originally an outlying rural part of Eltham, it became a separate locality with the opening of the Eltham North primary school in 1925. At that time the locality was known as Glen Park, and the name was recorded in street directories until the 1960s. Nevertheless, the postal district was Eltham North.
Diamond Creek separates Eltham North from Eltham and was the dividing boundary between municipalities. Eltham North was thus in Heidelberg city and, from 1964, in Diamond Valley Shire. In 2001 Eltham North's western boundary moved from Ryans Road into St Helena. As a result, Eltham North has St Helena secondary college within its boundary.
The State primary school (538 pupils, 2014) is in the east of the suburb, adjacent to the Glen Park Gospel Hall and local shops. There is a kindergarten in Glen Park Road. Eltham North has numerous bushland reserves and playgrounds. Its census populations have been: