Echuca Village settlement is an irrigated rural locality, 6 km east of Echuca and 180 km north of Melbourne.
In 1892 the Echuca borough council's Charles Pascoe retired from his position of town clerk and turned his attention to the idea of a farming village on the Echuca grazing common. The common was on an old flood plain. With the passage of the Settlement of Land Act 1893 (mainly directed at getting unemployed persons out of the urban areas affected by economic depression), applications came in for the eight hectare farm blocks at the Echuca Village settlement. Pascoe was agent for the settlement of the 100 blocks until he died in 1896. A school was opened in 1896.
The farm clearing was done but the promised water channels were delayed. Settlers left, but those who remained and acquired consolidated blocks gained viable dairy holdings when a pumping plant was started in 1900. Ultimately general irrigation came from the Waranga/Goulburn system.
Echuca Village settlement has a hall and tennis courts. The Anglican church (1902) closed in 1971 and the school closed in 1993. Echuca Village has become a productive dairying area, and also has three training tracks. The census populations have been:
L.J. Blake, 'Village settlements', Victorian Historical Magazine, November, 1966, Royal Historical Society of Victoria
Susan Priestley, Echuca: a centenary history, Jacaranda Press, 1965
Tongala Family History Group, The way we were: early days in Deakin Shire, 1995