Dandenong North, a postwar residential suburb, is 27 km south-east of central Melbourne.
An early indication of Dandenong's northward growth was the opening of the Dandenong North primary school in David Street in 1954. David Street, however, is no longer in Dandenong North, which extends north from Heatherton Road to Police Road. Its western boundary is an irregular line passing by St Elizabeth's Catholic primary school (west of Eastlink) and its eastern boundary is the Dandenong Creek.
The first school to open in present-day Dandenong North was the Lyndale State primary in 1956. By the mid-1960s much of Dandenong North was built-up as far north as Lyndale high school (1961) in Halton Road. Mostly there were still paddocks between there and Police Road. The suburb's expansion is explained by school openings:
|Greenslopes primary (now a Eumemmerring campus)||1962|
|Oakwood Park primary||1965|
|Wooranna Park primary||1971|
|Rosewood Downs primary||c1974|
Dandenong North has a small shopping centre with a post office (1955) in Menzies Avenue, opposite a public reserve with a hall and a senior citizens' centre. There is a larger reserve with sports ovals in the middle of the suburb and extensive parklands with basketball and volleyball facilities adjoining Dandenong Creek.
Since being settled, Dandenong North has had the Monash Freeway and Eastlink (2008) added to its landscape. The cloverleaf intersection of these road arteries would make up several ovals presently absent from that part of the suburb.
At the 2011 census two notable religious affiliations of Dandenong North's population were:
|affiliation||percentage of population|
Dandenong North's census populations have been: