Blind Bight

This coastal township in the City of Casey apparently derives its name from the fact that it cannot be seen from the waters of Western Port Bay. It is 57 km south-east of central Melbourne and has experienced the fastest growth in the foreshore areas including nearby Tooradin, Warneet and Cannons Creek which have long been popular with holiday makers and recreational fishers. Its development, like that of its neighbours, has been led by conservationist aims monitored by an active local progress association.

Blind Bight has a foreshore reserve on what was formerly salt marsh. Beyond that there are extensive mangrove zones. The built-up area is on sandy soils, some being windblown dunes.

Permits to subdivide an area into 324 lots of between 800 square metres to one hectare were granted in 1968. In 1976 Janus Constructions opened up 80 serviced allotments. By 1997 an estimated 300 blocks had occupied dwellings. Population grew from 63 to approximately 320 in the period 1981-87. Most were permanent residents, a mix of retirees and some younger families.

A Progress Association was formed in 1976, and a Foreshore Association in 1982. Facilities include a community centre and kindergarten, a general store, a jetty, a saltwater pool and picnic facilities. Buses connect the area to the neighbouring centres of Cranbourne and Koo Wee Rup.

Blind Bight's census populations have been:

census date population
2001 984
2006 1281
2011 1238

Further Reading

Fred Hooper, The good country ‘Into the dawn of a new day’ 1968-1988 Shire of Cranbourne, Cranbourne, 1988

John Wells, Tooradin: 125 years of coastal history, Tooradin, 2001