Ascot (near Bendigo)
Ascot is a rural/residential suburb 7 km north-east of Bendigo. In 1854 the Bendigo Jockey Club was formed, and chose a venue north of Bendigo for its race meetings. It is thought that the famous English racecourse, Ascot, inspired the place name. (Epsom, the name of another English racecourse, is immediately west of Ascot, on the other side of the railway line from Bendigo to Echuca).
The racecourse is in the south-west corner of Ascot, and it is adjoined by the Bendigo Golf Club (1901) and its golf course. There are also a bowling club and a caravan park. The eastern side of Ascot is occupied by the Bendigo Regional Park.
Bendigo racecourse has 25 meetings a year and is the venue for the Bendigo, Elmore and Marong Cups. The course was extensively remodelled in 1998.
Ascot’s census populations have been: